Since the majority of Vancouver Community Centres closed in March, the network has been working diligently towards a cautious and strategic recovery of services within all Vancouver communities. As such, the Dunbar Community Centre team are delighted to announce the return of priority services at Dunbar Community Centre starting September 21 with a gradual rollout over the proceeding months of identified programs. This approach will allow for the operations team to adapt to the unpredictable challenges COVID19 has and may impose on the Centre moving forward.
Priority services that were identified throughout the network include youth and senior user groups; that being said, we are ecstatic to announce registration opens on September 10 online and by phone, and September 11 in-person.
Click here for a listing of available classes
With the guidance from the Ministry of Health, we will impose the following general guidelines and public health principles but not limited to the following:
- Requiring staff, instructors and patrons to stay at home when sick.
- Encouraging physical distancing and minimizing physical contact by including a combination of markers, signage, and modified activities.
- Practicing hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and frequent cleaning and disinfecting.
- Ensuring traffic flow does not use the same exit and entry points
- Community Centre hours of operation will be reduced and only registered participants may come into the Centre. Classes will ONLY be by registration, drop-ins will be restricted in the Fall season to ensure all safety measures are being adhered to with the initial opening.
- Check-ins for registered participants at the Front Entrance (Dunbar Street) check-points will be completed 5 minutes before class starts.
- Shared equipment will NOT be available but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Washroom capacity is limited. Changing rooms will not be open at this time.
GENERAL SAFETY PRACTICES
- Registration and payment is required for programs to help reduce the capacity to allow for physical distancing.
- No drop-ins for programs are permitted at this time.
- Please arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to your program time. Patrons will be required to wait and line up outside the building prior to entering the facility.
- Follow physical distancing practice and maintain minimum 2 metres between yourself and others at all times.
- Bring your own pre-filled water bottle and dress accordingly. Not all fountains and changing rooms will be available.
- The building will not be open for general socializing/congregating. You will be asked to leave the building once your program has ended.
- Anyone not following safety guidelines or directions from staff will be asked to leave. Please respect and follow directions of staff at all times.
COVID-19 SAFETY POLICY:
- All participants, instructors and staff who have symptoms of COVID-19 AND/OR have traveled outside Canada in the last 14 days AND/OR were identified by Public Health as a close contact of a confirmed case must stay home and self-isolate.
- Participants who are ill will not be permitted to attend programs.
- Daily checks for respiratory illness at sign-in will be performed by asking participants to confirm that they do not have symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other respiratory disease.
- Participants must assess themselves daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other infectious respiratory disease before registering or attending programs.
- If a participant, instructor or staff member is unsure they should self-isolate, they will be directed to use the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, contact 8-1-1 or the local public health unit. Additionally, you are encouraged to contact a family physician or nurse practitioner to be assessed for COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases.
ENHANCED CLEANING MEASURES AT THE CENTRE INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Reducing the amount of people who can visit at one time.
- Setting up one-way travel around facilities and where it is not possible, two-way travel will be in place.
- Clearing and cleaning the programmable space in between programs.
- Facility will be sanitized at least twice per day at all high frequency touch points in addition to any regularly scheduled overnight sanitizing/cleaning per operating days of the facility.
- Site Safety Plans available at reception desk.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will there be a Recreation Guide for Fall 2020 classes?
A reduced Activity Overview Guide is available upon request at the Community Centre for Fall classes or download the Guide here Fall 2020 Dunbar Program Guide. Please visit Vancouver Activenet and filter for Dunbar Community Centre classes.
- Why don’t I see my usual class on the list?
The reopening of Community Centre focuses on priority programming for youth and seniors. The staff has worked with their instructors to see if their classes can adapt to changes such as maximum class sizes, time of class, different rooms, and necessary equipment. As we work through new procedures, staff will review adding more classes.
- When and where can I register for classes?
Registration begins September 10 – online at 9am, over-the-phone at 12pm and September 11 at 9am at the Dunbar Community Centre. We encourage debit and credit card payments for any in-person transactions.
- Can I still drop-in to classes?
Currently, drop-in option is NOT available for our programs due to the reduced number of spaces in class. Drop-in may become available in the future as we work through new procedures and review of the classes. We will provide updates in such event.
- What changes can I expect when I arrive at the Community Centre?
You will see notable changes at Dunbar Community Centre. We have implemented new policies and procedures to ensure patrons are able to social distance.
- Each patron is to self-assess their health. If you are feeling or showing any symptoms (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, runny nose, etc), do not enter the building.
- Be cognizant of new signage including new flow of traffic, social distancing reminders, new maximum capacities for classroom and washrooms, and exits.
- Check and review which entrance and exit to use for your class.
- Smaller class sizes
- Check-in to your class no earlier than 5 minutes prior to start time. Be ready to begin, as access to washrooms may be limited.
- Shared equipment will NOT be available – please bring your own equipment to use during the class (mat, weight, bands, towel)
- Do I need to wear a mask?
Although masks are not mandatory in the Community Centre, we recommend wearing them while inside the Community Centre as much as possible. This includes hallways and areas where social distancing may not be possible.
- Is your Fitness Centre open?
The Fitness Centre re-opens on Monday September 14. One hour sessions can be pre-booked between 7:30am-5pm. There will be information to come on the vancouver.ca website. Please note that the sauna and whirlpool will not re-open during this phase of Centre reactivations.